Access to an educated and skilled workforce
Goal 1: Increase the number of students participating in marine and life sciences programs at high schools.
- Initiative 1: Connect Community Colleges and Universities with K-12 teachers to offer experiential training in marine and life sciences.
- Initiative 2: Connect companies with existing STEM camps and programs (academic year and summer).
- Initiative 3: Increase intensity of K-12 STEM programs to include offering more variety and experiential opportunities outside the classroom.
- Initiative 4: Collaborate with high schools in New Hanover and Brunswick Counties to scale effective STEM programs.
Goal 2:Establish new programs that support marine and life sciences at institutes of higher education.
- Initiative 1: Coordinate summer programs to pipeline students from Community Colleges to UNC Wilmington.
- Initiative 2: Create a broad biotechnology curriculum.
- Initiative 3: Create a complementary engineering program.
- Initiative 4: Establish a joint PhD Coastal and Marine Science Program.
Access to capital
Goal 1: Increase grants awarded in the marine and life sciences Sectors.
- Initiative 1: Mentor and support 5 grant applications with the expectation of receiving 1 (SBIR, STTR, NC Idea, etc.)
- Initiative 2: Provide educational programs and coaching to prepare candidates to write competitive grant applications.
Goal 2: Increase the per capita exports to the level of the State’s average.
- Initiative 1: Increase the number of companies that export successfully.
- Initiative 2: Develop a coordinated strategy with the Foreign Trade Zone Promotion Council to increase export opportunities.
Goal 3: Increase early stage, mid-level and venture capital opportunities in marine and life sciences.
- Initiative 1: Use Wilmington Chamber Score Card as a measure of early stage and venture capital.
- Initiative 2: Establish a SENC network of names of investors and organize opportunities to meet and educate them.
Access to technical support and supply chain
Goal 1:Retain 90% of all marine and life science businesses.
- Initiative 1:Create a business survey to identify the gaps and needs of the business community.
Goal 2:Expand the number of jobs and revenue in marine and life sciences annually.
- Initiative 1:Create a welcome kit and include information on processes for expanding businesses in counties and cities.
- Initiative 2:Implement a user-friendly interactive Techtopia-like map.
- Initiative 3:Increase the number of companies that start-up and accelerate through coordinated services that meet the needs and gaps of targeted industries.
Goal 3:Attract emerging and established marine and life sciences businesses to the region.
- Initiative 1:Create local incentives for marine and life science companies.
- Initiative 2:Streamline local government land use and development regulations for new marine and life sciences companies.
Goal 4:Streamline the path to commercialization
- Initiative 1:Establish sources for Good Manufacturing Practices Certification.
- Initiative 2:Establish a network or group of pro bono reviewers of intellectual property.
Access to networks (Deal Makers and Connections)
Goal 1:Increase number of regular, public events targeted to marine and life sciences.
- Initiative 1:Establish a way to determine number of leads generated.
- Initiative 2:Establish a quarterly public seminar forum.
Goal 2:Increase connections outside New Hanover and Brunswick counties.
- Initiative 1:Create “dealmaker” networks.
- Initiative 2:Establish connections with other networking groups (e.g. BioLabs).
Goal 3:Establish number of spinoffs of new companies from established company of origin in marine and life sciences.
- Initiative 1:Identify established marine and life sciences companies in geographic areas.
Support Cluster Development (Credibility within marine and life sciences)
Goal 1:Promote InnovateSENC through publications and accomplishments.
- Initiative 1:Submit promotional material for aquaculture news, and on social networks.
- Initiative 2:Develop an advert for InnovateSENC as a banner sponsor in trade publications.
- Initiative 3:Implement a Storytelling Committee to promote Infomercials for businesses.
Goal 2:Coordinate trade shows to have a marine and life sciences presence.
- Initiative 1:Establish a connection to the existing boat show.
- Initiative 2:Create a trade show team to scope shows and serve as facilitators/ambassadors.
Goal 3:Increase number of industry conferences in SENC region.
- Initiative 1:Host Fish 2.0 Regional Conference and participate in at least one international conference.
- Initiative 2:Prepare the framework for an international conference on harmful algae conference.